21 January, 2007

Part 1: Extending the Visa

Since I'm planning a stay of 90 days (January 18 to April 17), the 30-day Visa-on-arrival given casual tourists upon entering Thailand won't suffice.

I'd originally hoped for a student (type "ED") non-Immigrant Visa allowing me a simple 90-day visit and, although the Course Director in Phuket sent a letter documenting my role as a student, The Consulate denied it as "insufficient to show university-level student status".

So what I need is a double-entry tourist Visa which allows two 60-day visits separated by a "border run" (probably to Myanmar via Ranong). The second visit would start in late February, after specialty training in Phuket, so I can stay on Koh Tao until late April.

Lessons for next time:
  • Book trips which are less than 60 days long
  • Apply for a single-entry tourist Visa (by mail >:-)

2 comments:

Ted N said...

Best wishes Matt. We look forward to reading about ur adventures in the Far East. Be Safe.
Ur friend,
Ted N.

Anonymous said...

Matthew, How are you enjoying your new surroundings? Your pictures of the animals are great! Are you learning the language at all? What do you like most about your travels as the country is so different from the US. Post some pictures of some scenery-sea, land, air.

My travels to the Dominican Republic several years ago were adventuresome in that I didn't have all the everyday conveniences but got to experience the culture through the people and returned with new appreciating for home. It was an unusual trip in that I went for school and enjoyed it more than I thought as my midwest upbringing was not as culturally diverse as some.

I am enjoying keeping up with your travels! Robin